CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Parenting

So I've been thinking lately about being a parent. There is so much information out there and everyone has their opinions about parenting. But I find that, as with all other aspects of life, the answers to my questions can be answered by one person -- God. I don't take the job of parenting lightly. God has entrusted this wonderful child to our care here on earth and it is our job to raise him according to God's plan.

The decisions that Jesse makes as he grows are directly related to the way in which we raise him. It is so important that he sees Christ reflected in our lives on a daily basis. It's not enough that we take him to church every Sunday, he has to see the consistency in our lives. He has to see that Christ is real to us. The greatest responsibility that we have is to teach our son about God's love and what he did for us on Calvary. The greatest reward we could ever receive on earth is knowing that we lived our lives in such a way that brought honor and glory to God, that through our examples Jesse comes to know Christ as his personal Lord and Savior and lives a life that is pleasing to God.

I have started reading the Bible to Jesse. I know he doesn't understand what I am reading but the fact is that I am reading to him and he hears my voice. It's our special mommy/baby time each night. By the time he is a year old we will have read the entire Bible.

I pray over him each and every night because I fully believe that Satan will try anything to keep Jesse from coming to Christ and in today's society he doesn't have to try hard. There are so many things that keep us from spending time with God. I think that we've bought into this idea that God will understand why we do the things we do and we justify things that are not pleasing to Him.

Genesis 9:5 says that God will demand an accounting of each person. My parents used to tell me this all the time but it never really made any sense to me until Jesse was born. Now we are responsible to God for this life that He has entrusted to us. One day we will stand before God in heaven and have to answer to Him for everything we allowed in our lives and in Jesse's life. That puts a huge responsibility on us as parents. When I look at it that way, it puts everything into perspective.

I am so grateful for the chance to raise Jesse and teach him about God. I know it won't be easy but I know that God has a plan and with Him by our side we can do anything!!!

0 comments: